Applications for the 2020 DRF Writers Award are now invited.
Submissions can be made from 1st June 2019 until 31st October 2019.
The Judges of the 2020 Award will be Ian Rankin (Chair), Sarah Perry and Max Porter.
An award of £10,000 will be presented to a first-time prose writer whose submission demonstrates literary talent and who would benefit from financial support to complete their work:
- Submissions should take the form of 20-25,000 thousand words of a work in progress, fiction or non-fiction, which is not under option or contract
- Applicants may not be under contract to any publisher for any work or title in any language
- Applications are only open to writers who have not previously published or self-published a full-length book of prose (with the exception of a collection of poetry)
- Entrants must write in the English language and reside within the British Commonwealth and Eire
- Submissions should be accompanied by a brief synopsis and a short biographical note.
- Applicants who submitted work for previous Writers Awards may re-apply but the work submitted must be new.
- The winner receives a cheque for £10,000 and each runner-up receives £1,000.
Submissions for the 2020 Writers Award open on 1st June 2019 and close on the 31st October 2019. If your submission is on the longlist you will be notified in April 2020. The shortlist will be announced in late April. The winner of the Award will be announced in London in mid-May at an event to which the three shortlisted authors will be invited. The judges for the 2020 award are Ian Rankin (Chair), Sarah Perry and Max Porter.
Do you accept submissions from Children’s writers?
Yes, we do accept submissions of Children’s, YA, Middle-Grade etc
Can I enter if I have self-published a book before?
No, we do not accept submissions from self-published writers
Can I enter if I have had a book of poetry published before?
Yes, we do accept submissions from writers who have published a collection of poetry
What are the Commonwealth countries?
A list of British Commonwealth countries can be found here
Can I have been published in another language?
No, unfortunately we do not accept submissions from authors who have previously been published in any language
Will I hear from anyone?
You will receive an automated response to your submission, but please note we are unable to respond to queries
I have submitted to the DRF Writers Award before, can I submit again?
Yes, you can submit new work to the DRF Writers Award, but not work you have submitted in a previous year
Can I submit more than one work?
No, we allow only one submission per writer
I have an agent/representation, can I still apply?
Yes, we accept submissions from writers with agents so long as they are not under option or contract to a publisher
Can I enter if I have translated or edited a work or anthology?
If you have translated or edited a work you may enter the prize, so long as you are not the only contributor named in the work
Can I enter if I have had a book published by a small academic press?
No, we do not accept submissions from writers who have previously published a book-length work
Do you accept submissions of graphic novels or picture books?
No, we do not accept these types of submissions
I’m a published non-fiction/fiction writer, and this is my first work of fiction/non-fiction; am I still eligible?
No, we do not accept authors who have previously been published in a full-length prose format (with the exception of a collection of poetry)
Can I enter if I have had a short story or an essay published in an anthology?
Yes, in this case you would be eligible
Can I enter if I have had a script for a play, film or TV published?
Yes, you would be eligible